See other nerf sites! Nerf HQ | NerfX | Nerf Haven | Foam: Total war

Archived-FU
April 19, 2024, 09:11:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SITE AND FORUM ARE MOVING!

PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.foamuniverse.com/forum/index.php

AND MAKE AN ACCOUNT!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

"What is an Air Restrictor?" Answered

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "What is an Air Restrictor?" Answered  (Read 2821 times)
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:27:46 pm »

"What is an Air Restrictor?"

Many people who are new to Nerf may ask themselves or others that question. I'm writing this little article to tell you what it is.

First off an air restrictor is anything that slows or stops the flow of air out of a nerf gun. And, really, that's about it.

But now that you know what it is, you probably want to know what it looks like. Well, they all look different depending upon the nerf gun. They may just, basically, be part of the nerf gun that gets in the way of the air flow. Recently, however, Hasbro (the company that makes Nerf brand guns) has come up with a structure that is specifically meant for this purpose. It can be found, in slightly varied forms, in the Nightfinder, Maverick, LongShot, and Big Bad Bow. (Note, they may be in others, but I know that they are in these guns because I've actually seen them. Here is a diagram of the basic structure of the common air restrictor:

Now, the part in this assembly that blocks the most air is "the" air restrictor. It is a solid circle of plastic with three prongs sticking up. A spring forces it against the peg base, which is riddled with holes. The three pegs fit into the holes in the peg base. The peg pretty much just makes you use stock darts.

There are two concerns when removing air restrictors:

1. "Dry firing" (firing when the gun does not have a dart in it) a spring type nerf gun after air restrictor (AR) removal allows the plunger head to slam against the front of the plunger chamber with greater force than usual. Once you remove the AR, try to avoid dry firing the gun.

2. Removing too much of the AR can sometimes ruin the air seal between your plunger chamber (or air tank, in the case of compressed air guns). Most notably this happens with the Maverick and also the (original, 10 shot) Dart Tag Blaster. In these cases, leave the peg base in the gun. You can still get rid of the spring, "the" air restrictor, and break the peg off of the peg base. If you really want to, you can also clear out the peg base a little to make it look like this:

(from http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3633&hl=)

So, there you have it: Air restrictors explained, and a little bit of a mod explanation for the Dart Tag Blaster and Maverick.

If you have any questions or comments, post them here or PM me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:30:26 pm by jwasko » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:47:41 pm »

Very nice! I'll add this to the Foam Universe mag! Along with robo's review...

When ever I get the site updated.... :p I'll do it this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
OutBreak
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:39:46 pm »

I really need to put some mods up. I been here for awhile but haven't contributed anything.
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 07:06:32 pm »

Thanks for the compliments!
Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 08:11:29 pm »

They are pesky bunches, not all ARs are like that, some ore more complicated.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

This site has been created by Jonas R. Wasilco.
Some fourm elements have been inspired by C:DOS Abandonware.

Like this fourm? Get your own!

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum