See other nerf sites! Nerf HQ | NerfX | Nerf Haven | Foam: Total war

Archived-FU
April 19, 2024, 12:22:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SITE AND FORUM ARE MOVING!

PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.foamuniverse.com/forum/index.php

AND MAKE AN ACCOUNT!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

The Viper

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Viper  (Read 370 times)
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:10:26 pm »

First of all, I'd like to say that I am not done and/or haven't given up on the FBBLR. It's just that I haven't been able to work on it (the end of the year gets so busy...) and these ideas just keep popping into my head.  azn

So, I came up with the idea for "The Viper"

Basically, it's a compressed-air powered, nearly semi-auto Maverick.

The pressurized air storage chamber will hold enough air for 6 shots. This air will be allowed into the pressure chamber (p. chamber) a bit at a time by the ball valve. So, I'll fill the p. chamber by opening the ball valve, close the ball valve, shoot, fill the p. chamber, close the ball valve, shoot, etc.

Hopefully, I can also connect a pump directly to the p. chamber, thus allowing me to ready a single shot. I'll probably rely on this, and keep the air in the storage chamber for "emergencies," such as rushes.

The air pressure will be released by an electrically operated solenoid valve. It will be opened when the contacts are pushed together by pulling the trigger. It works similarly to how the Nitefinder light lights up when you pull the trigger.

The turret will still rotate when the trigger is pulled, but in order to have the extended barrels I will need to do CaptainSlug's Maverick End-Clip mod(as seen here: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6272)

Unfortunately, this mod keeps me from having the very awesome swing-out cylinder. Maybe I'll try a slightly altered mod, or maybe I'll just learn to live with it. The batteries will probably not be directly attached to the pressurized air storage chamber, because I would really like to have interchangeable air storage chambers to go along with the cylinder-clip.

PS: Isn't Top Gun a cool movie? I wish I had a cool callsign like those guys...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nerfingnoob
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:57:56 pm »

I have no idea how to even begin to make a homemade Nerf gun, other than sticking a dart in my mouth and blowing. I did however stick a dart into my leaf blower and turning it on high, didn't work to well. As I said, I couldn't make a homemade Nerf gun if my life depended on it. Looks amazing and good luck building it. Would love to see that thing in action.

PS: If you did that in paint, your amazing at it. Best thing I could draw is a crooked line.
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:43:22 pm »

Yes, that is MS paint, and it's really not that hard once you get a handle on the tools that it has.

Actually, this diagram wasn't even that complicated. I just pasted in a picture of a Mav (it was CSMacLaren's, from NerfHQ, by the way), then drew onto it. The part that took the longest was taking out the background of the picture. The solenoid was originally copy and pasted in, too, but it was too pixelated so I just sort of painted over it.

Oh, and don't worry, I still haven't made a homemade either...I'm still working on the first one (the FBBLR). The Viper is (hopefully) fairly simple in comparison to the FBBLR, due to the fact that it's a compressed air nerf gun and doesn't have a breech.

If only I could figure out how to hold the FBBLR's barrel in place... sad
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:54:44 pm by jwasko » Report Spam   Logged
sourskittles772
Level 3 Poster

Clean ness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 06:36:54 am »

How are you making it semi auto
Report Spam   Logged
robonerfer
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:57:15 am »

It isn't, because of the ball valve.
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:26:52 am »

...nearly semi-auto Maverick.

I never said that it is semi-auto. However, I will be able to fire 6 times in quick succession while still having the power/range of a compressed air gun, thanks to the pressurized air storage tank. All that I'll have to do is open and close the ball valve, then pull the trigger.

I suppose that, if I replaced the ball valve with a second solenoid, I might be able to rig up something that really was semi-auto. But, solenoid valves are pretty expensive and I'd need three more 9 volt batteries, so...yeah, I think I'll just stick with the ball valve and keep it simple.
Report Spam   Logged
robonerfer
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:58:39 pm »

How expensive?
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 03:36:57 pm »

I think $10-$15 plus tax for the solenoid valve, depending on the model. Plus, there would be three 9 volts. So, that all together adding a second solenoid valve would take an extra $15-$20.

That's not that much, but factoring in the cost of the first solenoid, batteries, and the Maverick, it will be a $40+ project.
Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 07:55:18 pm »

That would work, but I would move the airtank down so you can use it as a stock.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

This site has been created by Jonas R. Wasilco.
Some fourm elements have been inspired by C:DOS Abandonware.

Like this fourm? Get your own!

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum