See other nerf sites! Nerf HQ | NerfX | Nerf Haven | Foam: Total war

Archived-FU
March 29, 2024, 04:24:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SITE AND FORUM ARE MOVING!

PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.foamuniverse.com/forum/index.php

AND MAKE AN ACCOUNT!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Got a Concept? Post it Here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a Concept? Post it Here!  (Read 1690 times)
Deaddumpster
Taco Enthusiast
Level 3 Poster

OMYGODIMONFIRE!

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2007, 08:34:56 pm »

Since people making their own threads on a homemade really fills up the site with multiple concepts a lot of people don't even get to making, I've decided to make this thread so that you can post your own concepts. This way, we can also follow you through the steps of building and post comments on people's ideas. So you can feel free to post your concepts and assembly of your latest homemade!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:44:01 pm by deaddumpster » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:08:29 pm »

Wait! I have an idea! Let's make a forum that's just for experiments and ideas!  shocked

Wait, we already have that.  cheesy

So, from here on out, how about we post uncompleted projects (especially projects that haven't even been started) in the "Experiments/Ideas" Forum. Completed homemades can go in the "Homemades" forum.

I'm going to sticky this topic in the Experiments section as a sort of open forum for discussing/developing ideas and concepts. If you have a more-developed idea, feel free to create your own thread in this forum.

PS: Good idea, dead dumpster, I just want to put this in the right forum.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:18:10 pm by jwasko » Report Spam   Logged
Deaddumpster
Taco Enthusiast
Level 3 Poster

OMYGODIMONFIRE!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 07:18:22 am »

There you go! That's perfect! If you have an idea for a homemade, post it here. If you get it built, for all you know, if it's awesome enough, you might be the next Boltsniper(warning, chances of becoming next Boltsniper are slimmer than an anorexic 14 year-old girl)!
Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 11:00:37 pm »

HA!  Some people might have a problem with that though. So just slow down on the anorexic part.  And Bolt is just smart and not flaky.
Report Spam   Logged
Deaddumpster
Taco Enthusiast
Level 3 Poster

OMYGODIMONFIRE!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 11:33:29 pm »

Well, there aren't many(if ANY) anorexic people on the site, so I think were good for now. I agree, Bolt is god when it comes to nerfing, a lot of the design of my shotgun(mainly the internals) are from Boltsniper's guns, like the whole same GNS trigger mech plus the plunger, bolt and pump-action relaod action. As I said in the concept thread, I SHOULD have it done by the end of the summer. I think I've got less of a spring and more of an industrial coil, it can barely be compressed with 100 pounds.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 03:50:48 pm by Deaddumpster » Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

Yeah, thats ridiculus, try 25.
Report Spam   Logged
Deaddumpster
Taco Enthusiast
Level 3 Poster

OMYGODIMONFIRE!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 03:55:54 pm »

I think I might have to. Even if I manage to get it in the gun and it can still be cocked, I bet the forward stroke would be so powerful I could probably break all of my mothers valuable Asian pieces of art and old Buddha stuff if the dart misses it's mark, and I don't think she'll like that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:14:51 pm by deaddumpster » Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 07:44:01 pm »

I would break stuff in the gun and the plunger tube would shatter.  15 might even be better.
Report Spam   Logged
Deaddumpster
Taco Enthusiast
Level 3 Poster

OMYGODIMONFIRE!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 08:54:31 pm »

Yeah, I think I'll have to go with that. Do you know where to get a good spring?
Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 09:02:01 pm »

Any Hardware store.  Or McMaster Car.
Report Spam   Logged
Deaddumpster
Taco Enthusiast
Level 3 Poster

OMYGODIMONFIRE!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 09:05:30 pm »

Ok thanks cool.

Has anyone got anything they would like to share?
Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 11:18:50 pm »

Tired of BUMPS.  More meaningful posts.
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 05:56:12 pm »

Since no one else has posted anything recently, I might as well throw this up. Without further ado:

Welcome to another edition of Jwasko's Wacky Nerf Idea Theatre!

*fake audience clapping, since I'm not popular enough to have a real audience  sad*

So the other day I said to myself: "Self...It just occurred to me that one of the reasons my/your springer has so far failed is probably because of too much friction between that leather washer and the inner wall of the plunger chamber"

My self replied, "Well, duh, you knew that a while ago. You were just too lazy too do anything about it."

*fake audience laughing, for the aforementioned reason*

So I says to my self, "Well, it also just occurred to me that this whole thing about using o-rings and washers and whatnot is terribly wasteful of the energy in a spring anyway. So, let's stop doing that."

*fake audience gasping, for the same old reason*

My self, after taking a moment to make sure he understood what I was saying, said, "Now, how the heck are you going to do that?"

And so I began to explain how the heck I was gonna do that:
"Well, self, it's quite simple. You see, the trouble with using o-rings and washers is that a careful balance must be found that gives a good seal while also minimizing friction. That springer that we tried to make? It was definitely too far gone down the seal side, thus producing too much friction. Heck, that one spring could barely get it to move! We had to use another one, and even then it didn't work that well.

"So, we're going to leave that sealing item (o-ring or washer) off. The plunger will be able to slide quite freely, and gain maximum acceleration from the force of the spring. In order to provide a way to compress air, we'll instead use an 'air bag' made out of some flexible yet fairly airtight material. It will be similar to what I used on the skirts for the (model-size) hovercrafts. Remember those?"

"How could I forget?" my self replied.

"Then you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, a large area of the bag will be attached to the front of the piston's head, in order to draw the bag back, yet keep it open enough. If I only attached it by a single point, the bag would just stretch out yet become thinner, instead of opening up and filling with lots of air like we want it to.The opposite end of the bag would go around the outside of the barrel, just because it would be easier to make a good seal. Maybe, if the exit of the plunger chamber is a 3/4 inch PVC fitting, and the barrel is 1/2 inch PVC, I can just pinch the fabric between those and then add some epoxy or something to hold it in place. So, what do you think, self?"

"Well, it makes sense to me, but maybe you're just fulling your self." *wink*

*fake audience laughs, for the same reason once again*

By the way, since you guys can't see my mental picture (unlike myself), I guess I'll post an MS Paint diagram.

Oh, and one last thing just occurred to me. If this works, it may be particularly well utilized in homemades that use a system similar to the FAR, SCAR-N, LS, and (I think) SHA's shotgun. To be more specific, I'm talking about homemades where the front wall of the plunger chamber is pushed back in order to push back the plunger. My idea eliminates the need to seal the bolt to the plunger chamber, as the air bag could be directly connected to it.

Also, to all you other inhabitants of this foamy universe: Post something!!! More to the point, post something that actually has something to do with nerf! Do you have an idea that you're not sure about? Just post it, talk it out with your peers. Maybe we can help you. Or, if you have a question, ask it. Don't be afraid someone will call you an idiot; and if they do, they'll get what's coming to them. Just contribute!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:06:31 pm by jwasko » Report Spam   Logged
ShadowHunterAlpha
Level 2 Poster

Shadow Militia Spec. Ops. and Commander-in-Chief.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 06:52:17 pm »

Yes, this is along the idea of what bolt and I have done. The piece you are noting is the bolt carrier, which doubles as a plunger tube and the piece that holds a rotating bolt in position and provides the track along which the cam pin rided to make the bolt head turn. The bolt carrier is connected via a rod, usually laminated (layered and glued) PVC strips, to the pump in a pump-action weapon, or just to the bolt handle in a FAR-esque setup. The benefit of doing this is allowing the bolt to come back to eject a shell in designs that use shells. Another advantage is that, since the plunger head is completely contained within the bolt carrier, a seal is not difficult to achieve. If one only had a bolt that did not contain the plunger head, then even the slightest hole would break the seal, which is not ideal because the bolt must usually slide back to the point where the action pin (or bolt handle) slot would meet the plunger chamber.
Report Spam   Logged
General Cole
General
Level 5 Poster

Nerf On!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 09:39:43 pm »

Good idea, but the bladder would have to re-expand every shot, so I don't know.

EDIT- What about 4SMDTGs, 1 Manta Ray, 1 Splitfire, 1 Crossbow, and one RF20= 223 Barrels of DOOM!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

This site has been created by Jonas R. Wasilco.
Some fourm elements have been inspired by C:DOS Abandonware.

Like this fourm? Get your own!

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum