See other nerf sites! Nerf HQ | NerfX | Nerf Haven | Foam: Total war

Archived-FU
April 20, 2024, 06:59:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SITE AND FORUM ARE MOVING!

PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.foamuniverse.com/forum/index.php

AND MAKE AN ACCOUNT!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Grassroots, part 1 of...

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grassroots, part 1 of...  (Read 630 times)
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:33:46 pm »

In order to not only (hopefully) increase the number of members here but also the number of nerfers in general, I'm starting a grassroots movement.

If I remember correctly, in the past people have communicated ideas widely to people without using the internet.  shocked

As part one of this project (I'm not sure if there will be more, but, hey, this is still the first part regardless), I'm going to be creating a series of posters/signs. Sure, we could actually talk to others about our hobby, but we aren't all the most social people, you know? *raises hand to indicate that he is, in fact, anti-social in real life*

We can then print out these signs and post them (anonymously, if you want) around school/campus/work/your local park/where ever.

I encourage others to come up with some signs as well. The only guidelines (not rules, but guidelines) are thus:

1. They must fit on a regular, 8.5x11 inch piece of paper (so you/we can print a fair amount, cheaply).

2. The sign should include the sites for NH, NHQ, and here.

3. The sign should not contain any crude language, so as to avoid offending people.

4. If the sign includes a picture of anything that looks very much like a real gun (for example the SCAR-N, FAR or a black LS), you may want to clearly state that it is not a real gun.

5. In fact, you may want to avoid using the phrase "Nerf gun;" use "Nerf blaster" or something else instead. Also, emphasize that these things shoot foam.

6. If you plan to use a picture of someone else's modification, you may want to ask that person for permission

I'll post the first sign(s) tomorrow.

P.S. This post was inspired by: Nerf is Dying, by The Infinite Shindig
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:23:40 am »

Great Idea. Its genius!

I could whip a sign in paint and post it here for people to print out. (It would make things alittle easier)

If you want to do this on the other Nerf sites, I suggest you post in the fourms there too. Just to make sure the admins agree.

This might be a good plan for NerfX too, they are going through a really bad time of inactivity.

Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:56:18 am »

Hmm, I hadn't thought that anyone would be against this idea (in general) or (more specifically) against putting the website on the signs/flyers.

But, now that you mention it, I guess there could be detrimental side effects to trying to broaden our hobby (besides, obviously, a potential flood of noobs).

It occurs to me that, largely, we have escaped the criticisms of promoting violence/murder/whatever that video games, paintball, softair, and even just plain target shooting (with real firearms) have received. Plus, who knows what Hasbro might do as the number of modifiers increase and (potentially) criticism of their products from activists mounts.

So, what do you guys think? Sould we spread the word of Nerf far and wide, or keep it amongst ourselves and our peers who understand where we're coming from (or just laugh at us for playing with "toys" -- either way, they're not going to call the cops on us or anything, though).

So, yeah, once I get some opinions here maybe I'll post on NHQ and then NH to get  more opinions about whether we should do this or not. In the mean time, there's no reason you can't start thinking about flyer designs.

angry I hate having to think about "is this politically correct" and crap.
Report Spam   Logged
Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:51:17 am »

Well the way I think about it is, Nerf guns have never really hurt anyone.(badly)

I view Nerf as a less powerful version of paintball or airsoft.

People premote paintball like its harmless fun. And in my opinion paintball guns are way more powerful than even the most powerful of nerf guns. There is a paintball arena in my area, and knowbody is starting any riots about that.

True, Hasbro does not want you to mod them...But people mod all kind of things from cell-phones, gaming consoles, BB guns what have you...In some cases it is illegal, but in most cases its people messing with thier own stuff.

In fact people modding Nerf guns has probably helped out Hasbro..How? Well lets look at it like this:

1. Nerf newbie goes to store and buys a Maverick.

2. Newbie looks on internet and finds a Nerf modification website.

3. Trying to mod the gun, newbie messes up Mav, beyond repair.

4. Newbie buys another Maverick.

5. Repeat.  grin

Really the only reason those warnings on Nerf guns exist is so people can't file lawsuits against Hasbro...

Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 01:46:48 pm »

Well, you never know when someone might get seriously injured and/or someone just decides out of the blue that nerf is the worst thing since...I don't know...drugs, or something. See: Jack Thompson. Sure, people before him protested violent video games, but the way he sees them...it's just like "wow, you need to relax."

And, especially once someone gets seriously injured, pressure will be mounted on Hasbro (and Buzz Bee, etc) to discontinue their Nerf line -- regardless of whether it is really their fault or just some idiot shooting someone in the eye with a singled titan.

I definitely agree with you there, though: modding does generate more profit for Hasbro, both from breaking/incorrectly modding them, and just if you want multiples (to do different mods, etc.). I myself own 3   (mostly) working Mavs. One is just AR removed, one I am doing an integration, and the third is spare parts for the integration, if I need them.

Edit: Here's the first flyer I came up with:
Flyer 1

Link purposefully broken until such time that the NIC, as a community, decides whether or not to do this.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:34:21 pm by jwasko » Report Spam   Logged
ShadowHunterAlpha
Level 2 Poster

Shadow Militia Spec. Ops. and Commander-in-Chief.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:17:35 pm »

This has potential to both aid and destroy. This site does need activity, but what if the posters are seen by idiots who lie about their age and jam up the boards (especially at NH) with useless garbage? Plus, you would need permission from the owners/founders of NH, NHQ, and NerfX to link their websites. They may agree with you in that the idea is great, but they might also side with my view. I say keep this within the select group that it is now. We don't want to die of inactivity, but we also don't want to die of spam and flaming. You're treading on a minefield.

Also, be careful where you put those posters. All it takes is for one crackpot activist to go to our sites, start denouncing Nerf as violent, and then being spreading the word in the real world after they are banned.

However, if you do pursue this, use the old marketing tactic. Compare the average price of a paintball gun to the price of a Nite Finder to make us look like an even more affordable alternative group. Taking the most expensive gun currently in production (besides the Disc Shot system) and then comparing it to a low-quality paintball gun isn't going to get nearly as many people interested. You may also want to try off-centering text and pictures, and using more attractive font styles for more visual appeal.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:21:32 pm by ShadowHunterAlpha » Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 05:32:01 pm »

Quote from: jwasko
...there could be detrimental side effects...
...besides, obviously, a potential flood of noobs...
...someone just decides out of the blue that nerf is the worst thing since drugs, or something. See: Jack Thompson [and videogames]...

Already thought of most of that, SHA, but thanks for giving your opinion. And I do plan to post similar topics on NH and NHQ, and/or PM moderators and admins of those forums.

Also, despite the gravity of the situation, I had to laugh a little when you said "link" to the sites...these things are going to be on paper, not in a digital format.

So, in sum: Nobody post these until we see how others react. I suppose I'll take down the link to that flyer for now, too...
Report Spam   Logged
Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:17:19 am »

Lets post some other topics like this around the bigger Nerf  sites. For around here, we could hold a poll on the subject once everyone is informed on the situation.

And, especially once someone gets seriously injured, pressure will be mounted on Hasbro (and Buzz Bee, etc) to discontinue their Nerf line -- regardless of whether it is really their fault or just some idiot shooting someone in the eye with a singled titan.

Well it should be noted that you do this at your own risk....Which it should be...And really if you think about it, nothing can really happen if your NOT an idiot. The worst that could happen is perhaps a shot to the eye or a welt on the skin...And even that can be avoided with a cheap pair of sunglasses or a heavy sweatshirt.

Of course they're are alot of idiots out there....Look at the person who got shot by pounding on gun bullets with a hammer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:24:43 am by Megamannt92 » Report Spam   Logged
ShadowHunterAlpha
Level 2 Poster

Shadow Militia Spec. Ops. and Commander-in-Chief.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 03:59:23 pm »

I said link because I was referring to the digital form that you provided, which I believed would be revised until approved for distribution.
Report Spam   Logged
Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 02:11:23 pm »

So...Does anyone else have any words on this?

By the way, did anyone post on Haven or N-HQ yet?
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 07:51:33 pm »

No, I don't think anyone has. I definitely know that I haven't, although I intend to. I just haven't had time to write a post that sufficiently explains it, or whatever. Also, I'm not 100% for this idea right now. I do really want to get some more nerfers around me, but there are many not-so-good things that could result from going mainstream.

As a side note...if anyone else would rather post the topics on NH and NHQ instead, you're welcome to do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 10:33:55 am »

Well if you no longer think its a good idea, feel free to lock this thread up.

If you have any second thoughts, maybe discuss it in the MOD forum.
Report Spam   Logged
Aguineapig
Level 3 Poster

The tard of the universe!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 02:54:11 pm »

angry I hate having to think about "is this politically correct" and crap.

The easiest answer, don't. if some random liberal mom calls you and blames you for getting her son into foam firing toy gun's, just say " I'm sorry mam, you must have the wrong number." then hang up. simple as that.

I personally think this is a great idea, and i think i might start distributing them eventually. Maine is an extremely liberal state, employing the method above should thwart of the occasional pissed off liberal mother.

--guinea
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 06:35:26 pm by Aguineapig » Report Spam   Logged
Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 08:13:05 pm »

I'm locking this for the time being...If anyone ever wants for some reason to re-open it, PM me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

This site has been created by Jonas R. Wasilco.
Some fourm elements have been inspired by C:DOS Abandonware.

Like this fourm? Get your own!

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum