See other nerf sites! Nerf HQ | NerfX | Nerf Haven | Foam: Total war

Archived-FU
March 28, 2024, 02:02:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SITE AND FORUM ARE MOVING!

PLEASE GO TO:

http://www.foamuniverse.com/forum/index.php

AND MAKE AN ACCOUNT!

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Panzerhaubitze 2000 (Nerf Artillery)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Panzerhaubitze 2000 (Nerf Artillery)  (Read 927 times)
nerfingnoob
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:30:27 pm »

I am interested in making a super powerful, long range, artillery-type gun. I think I am going to use a bike pump/air tank to fire the darts. The only problem I am facing is how to even start. I'm thinking a solenoid or ball valve to launch several darts out of 1/2 PVC (side by side). I never had made a homemade before so any advice would help. It would have the obvious air tank at the bottom, with something like ?PVC? to have all the air flows into, then have a few CPVC sticks attached to the ?? so all the air would flow into each. I will make a picture if it sounds unclear. I'm looking to have it look something like this:

PVC Airtank---Unknown---3-4 CPVC barrels.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 07:25:54 pm by nerfingnoob » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 01:12:17 pm »

We need the master's advice....Boomie? grin

Hmm...powered by a bike pump? If I understand correctly, this is not a mobile weapon right?

You may want to try an air compressor (if you have one). But what do I know, I never made a successful homemade. lipsrsealed

As I said, ask the master...Boomie..

Report Spam   Logged
Aguineapig
Level 3 Poster

The tard of the universe!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 03:04:15 pm »

I would use a titan as the backbone, then work your way up. homades are very hard to make successfully.
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:28:22 pm »

I assume that this thing is going to be stationary, correct? I also assume that you want really super long range...although, I think there is a limit of how far a nerf dart can go.

If so, make the air chamber out of larger diameter (1" to 2")  PVC. How big is up to you, really. Then, you can put a coupler followed by a bushing (say, 2" to threaded 3/4") on each side. USe PVC cement to put that together.

Then use some short, 3/4" schedule 80, threaded nipples in each bushing. Put a ball valve on one, and use the other to attach a schrader valve (aka a tire valve, which you can attach a standard pump/compressor to).

In order to put a schrader valve (available at AutoZone, etc.) on your homemade, I suggest putting a whole in a threaded 3/4" schedule 80 end cap then pull the schrader valve through. Some rubber cement on the schrader valve first will help seal it.

As far as having multiple barrels, some T-couplers could work. You'll need a male adapter to get to slip-joint piping again.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with this, really. It should have enough power to overcome small flaws such as the somewhat slow air release of a ball valve.

Safety notice: Don't fill it to over 100 psi...not that you really need to get it that high. 70 ish is the most you should need.

Any more questions, just ask.
Report Spam   Logged
Aguineapig
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 03:59:31 pm »

Dang, you got me on a role, i'm gonna try this too!

--aguineapig
Report Spam   Logged
Megamannt92
Webmaster
Level 4 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:08:41 pm »

Ok, tell us what you come up with guys.
Report Spam   Logged
Aguineapig
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 09:40:13 am »

Yup, i've no experience with homades, so ill most likely use my titan as the backbone, then add 4-5 cpvc barrels and a bipod.

--guineaG
Report Spam   Logged
Deaddumpster
Taco Enthusiast
Level 3 Poster

OMYGODIMONFIRE!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 02:17:14 pm »

If you guys ever get a drawing done or begin to build it, put it up in my Concept thread in the Experiments/ Ideas section. That's what the thread is for, so we might as well help you out on there. I'm an expert when it comes to the Titan, so I'll help you in any way I can.
Report Spam   Logged
nerfingnoob
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:27:31 pm »

Since its going to be stationary, how am I going to make the bike pump fill the PVC tank? I can think of anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 05:06:28 pm »

Since its going to be stationary, how am I going to make the bike pump fill the PVC tank? I can think of anyway.
I don't understand the question. Any way to rephrase it?
Report Spam   Logged
nerfingnoob
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 06:06:13 pm »

Umm, how do I make the bike pump fill the air tank for the gun? Or, how can I make the gun fill with air with a bike pump?
Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:38:58 pm »

Well, umm...you attach the bike pump, and then you...pump. That's pretty much all there is to it...

If you're talking about how to attach the pump to the gun, you'll need to put a schrader valve somewhere on your gun. Try looking at a place that selles car parts, like Advance Auto Parts.

Drill an appropriate-size hole in something (I used a 3/4" Schedule 80 threaded endcap) and then just pull the valve stem through until it sort of snaps into place. Some rubber cement will help ensure a good seal, and lubricate the valve on the way in. Then, just attach the bike pump as you would to any tire valve.
Report Spam   Logged
nerfingnoob
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 09:16:16 am »

Alright, I am doing the MS Paint drawing right now but ran into a problem. Is there a reducer that goes from 3/4" PVC to 1/2" CPVC? Or what should I do? I saw a 3/4"--1/2" PVC reducer but don't know if there is one to CPVC. I don't think the fit would be tight enough in 1/2" PVC.
There is 1/2" copper there though, I hear bad things about copper though.
Edit: How long should the airtank be? And is 1" or 2" for an airtank better for this project.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:20:25 am by nerfingnoob » Report Spam   Logged
jwasko
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 11:59:13 am »

You could use the 3/4" PVC to 1/2" PVC reducer, and then just shove a 1/2" PVC coupler into the 3/4" end. It's very convenient how nicely it fits...

As for airtank size, it really depends on how long you want the barrel to be, with some consideration on how far you want it to shoot. Also, if you want a long and narrow tank use 1."  For short and wide, use 2."

What knid of valve are you using, or are you just using a burst seal?
Report Spam   Logged
nerfingnoob
Level 3 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 02:18:45 pm »

What knid of valve are you using, or are you just using a burst seal?

I think you mean to release the air... I am going to look for a solenoid valve but if that fails (most likely) then ball valve for sure.  Where should this valve be too? On the tank or further up?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

This site has been created by Jonas R. Wasilco.
Some fourm elements have been inspired by C:DOS Abandonware.

Like this fourm? Get your own!

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum